Sunday, January 31, 2010

Welcome to the Podcast Industry...


This semester I'm experiencing many firsts. I just recently bought my first laptop. This edm class is the first time I've heard of a smartboard, and now I've downloaded my first podcast. I'm ashamed, given that I've owned an ipod for a little over 3 years now. I enjoyed listening to the podcasts, and more so, I appreciate what I've learned from them. I've come to the realization that I have been out of the loop, I'm not up to date on a lot of the things that I should be, and I'm very excited to begin my journey of knowledge. (Technological literacy, here I come!)

I'm very new to terms like audio conferencing and video podcasting, but what I failed to realize before now is that my students are going to be so conditioned to these terms, the newness that I see will be invisible to them. Wikis to them will be like chalkboards were for me. Staying a step ahead or even just in step with our students will earn their respect, I believe, for they will see that we are reaching out for that connection that we might only be able to accomplish through the use of technology.

Listening to the podcasts put me out of my traditional comfort zone but made me feel good to know that I was on my way to catching up to the rest of the world. I don't want to find myself being a Mr. Winkle and holding students back because I can't connect with what they're talking about. It's absurd to think that a third grader can become frustrated with me because I'm not following what he's saying about the new book he read on his kindle.

It's amazing the amount of information available to us. People are taking the initiative to share what they know, and syndicated media is booming. I would say that I can't believe what all is out there, but I really can! The 6 podcasts we listened to this week for class opened my eyes to what all is available for us. I never would have listened to a show dedicated to photography, and I never would have heard the (interesting) topic of the photo discrimination lawsuit.

I'm pleased to announce I'm a new fan of podcasts, and I can't wait to see what all I can find for myself and share with others.

2 comments:

  1. Im totally with you. Ive owned an ipod for like ever and I had no idea what podcast, smartboard or any of that stuff was either. EDM has really opened my eyes to some of the technology out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too. I have had an ipod for so long and I have always seen the word "podcast" come up when looking through my ipod but, had no idea what it was! Everything I know about podcasts, I learned through here.

    ReplyDelete