Sunday, February 7, 2010

Technology, the Back Seat Driver

The millenia generation and technology go hand in hand, and podcasting is allowing for expansion of the classroom. students are becoming a part of the teaching process, enhancing learning. I like how the young students have positive things to say about listening to the podcasts. With the principals supporting their teachers with using technology, specifically podcasts, it has potential to serve as a basis for bringing educator and parent and student closer, with regular communication and the ease (easier?) of expression through technology.


As wonderful as it is that (very) young persons are doing everyday tasks using technology, I believe we must teach responsibility when using these tools. It might also be a good idea for schools to hold workshops for parents and invite them to learn along with the students on the benefits of the enhancements of these applications. The more involvement, the more beneficial for everyone, with the student being the center focus.


I immediately was attracted to the Brain Quest for 1st graders, because I remember when I was in 6th grade, my aunt gave me one of those in my stocking one year for Christmas... it's neat that it's on iPod now! I was thrilled to see the variety of material available. As well as academics, other topics were healthful living, dance education, and many others! It's exciting to see study guides such as spark notes available on an iPod (as opposed to downloading onto something else with text, like a kindle). The variety of training available is very broad and that will only lead to advancements across many fields.


I appreciate all of the information I've recently been exposed to since the beginning of this course. I believe it's more than relevant to me. Being new to podcasting, it's nice to be able to hear many examples, and instructions for publishing my own. For our group project, we've decided to do a vodcast, and some things that I've once dreaded, I'm looking forward to working on.


I think I honestly owe the kids for the motivation behind my want to learn now. Their creativity shines, and before my apprehension held me back, but seeing them flourish with the use of these podcasts has encouraged me to seek more knowledge about the usage of these tools and the enhancement for my students.


Comments4Kids

Twice so far I've left comments for a young man named AJ, and I've become pretty familiar with his page. It lets me relax a little for it reminds me that this "technology stuff" really isn't that hard.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you on having workshops for the students parents to get better acquainted with the technology as well.

    We as teachers must stay in tune because technology is changing everyday and we need to stay up to date, and be able to relate to our students and keep their attention

    ReplyDelete