Sunday, February 14, 2010

Wiki What?

Even though I've heard of and even used wikipedia, I've never considered it to be a real viable source of information. I've known that it can be edited by whomever at anytime, and I've used it really just to find out things that I had NO idea about before. Wikipedia's great for gaining insight on some topics you might not have been familiar with at all, but I wouldn't use it as a sole resource for any reason. I think it's cool that a database has been created to monitor what's being edited and by whom. One would want wikipedia to be as factual and true as possible, but with these big corporations adding or omitting information as they see fit, our view may become misconstrued. It's nice to know there's a quick way to brush up on something, but it's also good to be able to keep an eye out for the manipulator.


Mr. McClung learned it.... why can't we?

I was so pleased when I read Mr. McClung's post. It's refreshing to hear teachers speak of their students and remember that they are the driving force that moves us. Having a connection with the students truly is the only way to be effective. Being flexible and being able to modify your lesson plans "on the fly" are of most importance. Trying to control every move will only create stress and will hinder the learning atmosphere. Being relaxed will encourage students (and other teachers) to relax as well, opening the channels for communication. Effective communication is acquired with practice and is the key to solving conflicts with students and other teachers alike. Another skill that an effective teacher has is setting reasonable goals and objectives for her students. To quote Mr. McClung: "While its fine to have lofty goals for our students, we set our students up for disappointment when a goal is not met and we scold them for not coming through. Our job as teachers is to simply pick them up after they fail, dust them off, and encourage them to try again." I agree with him when he says we must take interest in our students. They appreciate it and it's important. It also speaks volumes about the teacher who really cares what the student has to say. Lastly, leading by example, sharing my passion for learning (including about technology!!) will encourage my students to strive to be the best they can be, and that is my only hope as a teacher... that each child will recognize and strive to reach their own potential.

Comments4Kids

Mr. Lamshed sure has some great kids he works with! I've been able to see his boys shave their heads to raise money for cancer awareness, and I've enjoyed watching their progress. Click here: for Mr. Lamshed's page.

1 comment:

  1. Holly, I love your blog and agree completely with you on Mr. McClung's blog. It is very refreshing to hear how passionate new teachers are, and what they are learning after a few months of "on the job training." Hearing stories like his, helps me remember why I want to work with kids. Sometimes we get so lost in the day to day grind, especially when it comes to preparing ourselves for a life of teaching, that reading blogs like this help to remind us too look towards the end result, the bigger picture, that all the stress of school now will pay off when you get to inspire one child!

    As far as Wikipedia being a reliable source, your right it's not. I do use it for gaining insight to things I am completely unaware of also. I think its terrible though that people are able to change whatever information they want in order to make themselves or their company look better.

    ReplyDelete